Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Trees Surround Your Path

Centre Of Homs, The Ruins Of Ancients


Homs is an ancient city dating back to the year 2300 B.C and was known in Roman times as Emesa, which contained a great temple to the sun god El Gebal (Aramaic; Latin: Elagabalus; Greek: Heliogabalus). Emesa was ruled by a line of priest-kings throughout the Roman Empire, and two of its nobility rose to become emperor, Elagabalus and Severus Alexande who ruled Rome from 193 to 211. Four Homs women became Roman Empresses -Julia Domma, Julia Maesa, Julia Mammea and Julia Soemia. Aurelian (reigned AD 270-275) made the town his headquarters and there defeated Queen Zenobia of Palmyra. Emesa's fortunes were always tied with the trade city of Palmyra. As long as Palmyra flourished so did Emesa. When Zenobia was defeated at Palmyra in about 272 AD, Emesa declined.


Saturday, September 24, 2005

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Wallpaper Called: Nerium Oleander


This is the famous mediterranean bush. These are made in the purpose of letting it at desktop wallpaper. I tried to make one color abundant than others. I hope I got to my aim. Happily I found the necessary flowers to make it. Despite its toxicity, Oleander is widely cultivated as an ornamental plant, valued for its large cymes of flowers, and in warmer areas as hedges and along highways.

Yellow-To-Brown Colors Mixed Face



Yellow-to-brown colors' mixed face.
Now I want you to look at churches' courtyards, which are purely in arabic style, with yellow-brick-brown colors constellation.
Very characteristic style for old enclosed yards, in Syria's historical buildings.
This picture is Holy Soul church's courtyard, Homs.

And this one is Umznnar church's courtyard.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Armenian Apostolic Church Of 40 Martyrs


Armenian apostolic church of s. 40 martyrs is located in the saliba streets.
It is hundreds years old. Here you see the altar.
According to a tradition, the location of Saint Forty Martyrs Armenian Apostolic Church and the former Saint Asdvadzadzin Armenian Apostolic Church was a Christian graveyard with a small Chapel .
there are several other historical sites, soon it will be covered also. Posted by Picasa




The painting of 'judgement day'.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Mar Georges Cathedral, Aleppo


The biggest church in Aleppo, two in one. The pic is from the first floor church, which is the smaller one, but most visited one. Located in Aziziye quarter, between other churches. Reminiscent of typical byzantine era, medieval times in Syria.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Der Mar Mousa





The monastery


Elements of geography and Hystory The ancient Syrian monastery of St. Moses the Abyssinian (Deir Mar Musa el-Habashi) overlooks a harsh valley in the mountains east of the small town of Nebek, 80 km north of Damascus, and about 1320 metres above sea level.

The area was first inhabited by prehistoric hunters and shepherds because of its natural cisterns and pastures ideal for herding goats. Perhaps the Romans built a watchtower here. Later, Christian hermits used the grottoes for meditation, and thus created the first small monastic centre.

According to local tradition St. Moses the Abyssinian was the son of a king of Ethiopia. He refused to accept the crown, honours, and marriage, and instead he looked towards the kingdom of God. He travelled to Egypt and then to the Holy Land. Afterwards, he lived as a monk in Qara, Syria, and then as a hermit not far from there in the valley of what is today the monastery. There he was martyred by Byzantine soldiers. The story says that his family took his body, but that the thumb of his right hand was separated by a miracle, and was left as a relic, now conserved in the Syrian church of Nebek.

From the archaeological and historical points of view, we know that the monastery of St. Moses existed from the middle of the sixth century, and belonged to the Syrian Antiochian Rite. The present monastery church was built in the Islamic year 450 (1058 AD), according to Arabic inscriptions on the walls, which begin with the words: " In the name of God the Merciful, the Compassionate".

The frescoes go back to the 11th and 12th centuries. In the fifteenth century the monastery was partly rebuilt and enlarged, but by the first half of the nineteenth century it was completely abandoned, and slowly fell into ruins. Nevertheless, it remained in the ownership of the Syrian Catholic diocese of Homs, Hama, and Nebek. The inhabitants of Nebek continuously visited the monastery with devotion, and the local parish struggled to maintain it.

In 1984, restoration work began through a common initiative of the Syrian State, the local Church, and a group of Arab and European volunteers. The restoration of the monastery building was completed in 1994 thanks to cooperation between the Italian and Syrian States. An Italian and Syrian school for restoration of frescoes has been created at Deir Mar Musa and will complete the work in the context of Syrian European cooperation.

The new foundation of the monastic community started in 1991.
Information: www.deirmarmusa.org

Syria Tartous


Syria Tartous. History of Tartous
Not much remains of the Phoenician Antaradus (Anti-Aradus - the town facing Arwad ), the mainland settlement that was linked to the more important and larger settlement in Arwad .
This town was favored by Constantine for its devotion to the cult of the Virgin. The first chapel to be dedicated to the Virgin Mary is said to have been built here in the 3rd century. Two centuries later an earthquake hit the chapel and the altar was miraculously saved. This miracle was further enhanced by an icon of the Virgin believed to be painted by St. Luke resembling the one in Seidnaya. The church 'Our Lady of Tortosa' was built upon this miracle by the Crusaders in 1123. It now houses this altar and has received many pilgrims.



Tartous part2 Nur Al Din occupied for a brief time and then it was recaptured by the Crusaders. Tartous was placed under the control of the Templars who rebuilt and redeveloped its defenses. It was then recaptured by Saladin in 1188, whence the Templars locked themselves into the keep. However it was rebuilt and remained under Templar control until 1291. Tartous was the last stand the Templars had on the mainland of Syria departing to Arwad , which they kept for another decade.
It was of little use to most, including the Ottomans and the French, however in recent decades it has quickly developed into Syria's second port. As for the Cathedral it was used as a mosque for a while then as a barracks for the Ottomans. It was renovated under the French and turned into a museum.



The Isle of Arwad, round and tightly packed like a bee-hive, consists of a conglomeration of houses and strongholds. These a beats up against the foot of the walls. There is no tree and not a single piece of vegetation in sight. There is only one space, and a rather confined one at that, which serves both a quayside, wharf and forum, and which looks on to the busy harbor full of sailing- and fishing-boats and fishing-smacks of all colors.





This is the only island in Syria, and it is located 3 kilometers from Tartus. It was an independent kingdom named Aradus in the days of Canaanites. It was often mentioned in inscriptions because of its importance in commerce and seafaring.

Arwad provided shelter for those escaping from foreign invasions in ancient times, especially for the people of Amrit in the south of Tartus

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Through The Car's Mirror


During my trips, a shot from the car's mirror

The previous post's article is by courtesy of www.syriagate.com Posted by Picasa

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Syria. Homs. The Holy Soul Church كنيسة الروح القدس في حمص



Homs. St. Mary's Belt Church كنيسة السيدة العذراء ام زنار

كنيسة السيدة أم الزنار: من أشهر وأقدم الكنائس السريانية الأرثوذكسية في حمص. يقوم مبناها فوق كنيسة أثرية (قبو) اكتشف فيها عام 1953 جرن مخفي فيه زنار السيدة العذراء مريم من الصوف المطرز بالذهب، وقد شيد له مقام خاص داخل الكنيسة هو مقام السيدة العذراء مريم، يؤمه ألوف من السياح للتبرك من مختلف الملل، والكنيسة الأولى بنيت حسب الرقيم الحجري الذي ظهر فيها سنة 59 م في عهد الرسول إيليا، وهي كنيسة عجائبية حسبما رواه الحمصيون.
This church is back to 59 a.d., there is found the belt of Saint Myriam. You can see the belt here, which is found in a sink under the church in 1953.

Homs, Emesa حمص



Homs
Homs is located in a strategic point between the Desert and the coast in a break between the mountains known as the Homs gap. It is an industrial city and Syria's most important oil-refining center. It is also a main center for sugar refining and has a plant for treating phosphates, one of Syria's largest exported products, mined in Palmyra.

This city is very close to Tartous Syria's second port, and to the northern Lebanese border near Tripoli. It is also the usual stop for passengers traveling the long Aleppo-Damascus route.

Homs does not offer much to tourists, as it has always been an industrial city. Although excursions to the crusader castle, Krak des Chevaliers and other sites are available from here.

History of Homs
This city goes back to long before the Roman times, although it was always overshadowed by the kingdom of Hama.

This city was known in Roman times as the city of Emesa and had strong connections with the Severid Dynasty. Julia Domna the daughter of a high priest of Emesa married Septimius Severus, while he was stationed here. He later became emperor of Rome. When he was transferred to Rome Julia took over and was a principal figure in the dynasty's fortunes. Emesa's fortunes were always tied with the trade city of Palmyra. As long as Palmyra flourished so did Emesa. When Zenobia was defeated at Palmyra in about 272 AD, Emesa declined.

Christianity established itself in Emesa early on, as 3rd to 7th century catacombs were found in houses in the eastern quarter, where quite a large population of Christians still live. After Arab conquest, it is said that 500 of the prophet's companions came and settled here. Homs became important, again but by the 18th century Homs had sunk into a state of weakness.

Homs click here










مدينة عريقة في القدم، يعود تاريخ بنائها إلى سنة 2300 ق.م وهي مدينة داخلية في سورية، وتعتبر المدينة الثالثة بعد دمشق وحلب، واسمها القديم (ايميسا) والمدينة القديمة مدفونة تحت انقاض المدينة الحالية. قيل أن اسمها مأخوذ من لفظ (حمث( HMOTH وهو اسم القبيلة التي سكنتها قديماً، وقيل أن لفظة (حمص (HOMS آرامية ومعناها (الأرض اللينة الوطء) سميت بذلك لوقوعها في السهل، وقيل أن معنى حمص بالآرامية (اشتد، وسخن، وتخمر) وكان أولاً معنى حمص بالآرامية وصفاً للشمس، ثم صارت اسماً خاصاً بالآله شمس.

روى المؤرخ يوسيفوس أن (حمث بن كنعان) بنى مدينتين وسماهما باسمه، وميز القدماء بين الاثنتين باللقب فقالوا (حمث الكبرى) حمص و(حمث الصغرى) حماة. ثم بدلت التاء صاداً على عادة الآراميين، وقيل أن آرام بن سام أسسها بنفسه كما روى صاحب معالم وأعلام ص 340. وقال ابن فضل اللّه اسمها القديم سوريا (ابن الشحنة: الدرّ المنتخب ص270).

وحمص بلد مشهور قديم كبير مسور، وفي طرفه القبلي قلعة حصينة على تل عال كبيرة (ياقوت الحموي: معجم البلدان مج2 وص302).

ورد اسم حمص (ايميسا) ضمن ما دوّن على رقم مملكة إيبلا إضافة إلى المشرفة (قطنة) وأسماء دمشق ديماشكي وأيماه(حماه) (إيبلا حاضرة زاهرة من الألف الثالث قبل الميلاد). كما تدلّ ألواح إيبلا التي تعود إلى (2400 ـ 2250 ق.م).

إن تجارتها كانت تمر عبر حمص إلى فلسطين، وأن ملكها آر ـ انيوم عام 2340 ق.م. كان يعيّن حاكم بيبلوس (جبيل) من أهاليها.

ثم مرت حمص وغيرها من المناطق تحت حكم الرومان والعمالقة والأموريين في العصر البرونزي القديم عام 2300 ـ 1900 ق.م والعصر البرونزي الأوسط حيث قدم الحثيون من آسيا الصغرى، وخلال القرنين الخامس عشر والرابع عشر انتشر الحوريون في سوريا ومنطقة حمص مما جعل المصريون يطلقون اسم (خورو) على قسم من سوريا (الموسوعة الألمانية 1966).

بلغت حمص أوج ازدهارها خلال الحكم الروماني، ولمع نجم آله الشمس الذي كان يعبد به الحجر الأسود، وكان كاهن هذا المعبد باسيان وقوراً حكيماً وابنته جوليا دومنا الحمصية الآرامية الجمال، وافرة الذكاء والفطنة، وزوجة القائد الروماني سبتموس سيسفروس ويقال أنه نقل الحجر الأسود من حمص إلى روما تيمناً وأضحى إمبراطوراً من عام 193 ـ 211 م. وهذا مما جعل حمص تشتهر بـ أم الحجارة السود ـ في بناء دورها وأمكنتها التجارية وقصورها إلى يومنا هذا.

وانتقلت إلى حكم الإمبراطورية الرومانية السلالة الحمصية ومنهم (كاركلا 211 ـ 217) و(ايليو طابال 218 ـ 228) والاسكندر (229 ـ 232) وفيليب العربي، وتولى كثير من سكان حمص مناصب الدولة الرومانية الكبرى، وتمتعوا بعضوية مجلس الشيوخ.

وبرز في ما بين عام 1225 ـ 740 ق.م الفينيقيون والآراميون، وكانت معركة قادش الشهيرة بداية انسحاب الحثيين من منطقة حمص، وتقدم الآراميين الذين استوطنوا مكانهم، ونقطة تحول تاريخي لمنطقة حمص إذ انسحب الحثيون تدريجياً وتقدم الآراميون الذين استوطنوا جبال لبنان الشرقية وتحولت حمص إلى منطقة آرامية ما بين (1225 ـ 740 ق.م) واستطاع تغلات فلاصر الاشوري، من دخول حمص بعد قضائه على ملكها (رصين) آخر ملوك الآراميين فيها، ورصين اسم آرامي معناه ثابت، متقن، مكتمل، رصين.

وبقيت حمص تحت سيطرة الآشوريين ما بين عام 737 و331 ق.م ثم اجتاحها الكلدانيون والفرس ودخلت حكم الاسكندر المقدوني سنة 331 ق.م ثم خضعت تحت حكم السلوقيين عام 330 ـ 90 ق.م باسم ايميسا، ثم تحت حكم المملكة التدمرية (246 ـ 273 م) وبقيت حمص بعد دمار مملكة تدمر إلى سيادة المسيحية ودخول الإسلام (272 ـ 633) ثم فتحها العرب بقيادة أبو عبيدة ابن الجراح (ربوع محافظة حمص: د. عماد الدين الموصلي ص من 101 ـ 145).

وأصبحت حمص إحدى مراكز الجند العربي الرئيسية وهي الكوفة والبصرة في العراق ودمشق وحمص في الشام والفسطاط في مصر.

أما القبائل العربية التي تستوطن بادية حمص قبل هذا التاريخ فإنها أخذت تستوطن المدينة المتحضرة فتشكل منهم ومن أبناء عمومتهم الآراميين شعب واحد متحد غلب عليه الطابع العربي.

ثم خضعت للنير العثماني البغيض فترة طويلة من الزمن، قدّمت شهداء كثيرين منهم العلامة الشيخ عبد الحميد الزهراوي والمحامي النابغ رفيق رزق سلوم والدكتور الضابط عزة الجندي الذين استشهدوا عام 1916.

ثم خضعت تحت الانتداب الفرنسي، واستعادت استقلالها يوم عيد الجلاء 17 نيسان عام 1946 ولا تزال مستقلة بقيادة حزب البعث العربي الاشتراكي وأمينه العام القائد حافظ الأسد رئيس الجمهورية العربية السورية.

شيّدت في حمص أبنية دينية كثيرة من مساجد ومقامات في مراحل العصر الإسلامي، كما شيدت فيها كنائس ومعابد خلال العهود القديمة والإسلامية الوسيطة المتأخرة أهمها:

الجامع النوري الكبير: كان هيكلاً للشمس ثم حوله القيصر ثيودوسيوس إلى كنيسة ثم حول المسلمون نصفه إبان الفتح العربي إلى جامع وبقي النصف الآخر كنيسة للمسيحيين، ولكن المتوكل العباسي أمر بتأديب النصارى العرب الذين ثاروا مع مواطنيهم المسلمين العرب على القائد العباسي فصلب رؤساءهم وادخل القسم الثاني من البيعة إلى الجامع (الطبري مج11 ص50). ثم تهدم هذا المسجد بالزلزال في أيام نور الدين الشهيد فأعاد بناءه سنة 1129 على شكله الحالي.

وجامع خالد بن الوليد الذي يضم ضريح القائد العربي البطل خالد بن الوليد المتوفى في حمص سنة 641 م. وفيها كثير من المقامات مثل مقام أبو الهول، مقام أبو موسى الأشعري وغيرها.

أما كنائسها فالقديمة منها:

كنيسة السيدة أم الزنار: من أشهر وأقدم الكنائس السريانية الأرثوذكسية في حمص. يقوم مبناها فوق كنيسة أثرية (قبو) اكتشف فيها عام 1953 جرن مخفي فيه زنار السيدة العذراء مريم من الصوف المطرز بالذهب، وقد شيد له مقام خاص داخل الكنيسة هو مقام السيدة العذراء مريم، يؤمه ألوف من السياح للتبرك من مختلف الملل، والكنيسة الأولى بنيت حسب الرقيم الحجري الذي ظهر فيها سنة 59 م في عهد الرسول إيليا، وهي كنيسة عجائبية حسبما رواه الحمصيون.

أما كنيسة مار اليان العجائبي: فتحتوي قبر الشهيد اليان تحيط به رسوم جدارية (على طريقة الفريسك) يوجد فيها ايقونسطاس بديع مزيَّن بالصور من مدرستي حلب والقدس للفن البيزنطي.

ذكر مدينة حمص العلامة أبو الفرج الملطي السرياني (ابن العبري) في (كتابه مختصر تاريخ الدول ص 51، 85،91، 101، 147، 166، 206، 207، 208، 213، 216، 223، 236، 258، 279، 282، 289).

كما ذكرها إيليا برشينايا في تاريخه (ص 161، 199).

وورد ذكرها في (الدر المنتخب عند ابن الشحنة ص9، 10، 23، 25، 28، 84، 111، 158، 180، 192، 207، 232، 265، 267، 269، 284).

ولم ينسَ ذكرها الأسدي في (حلب ـ الجانب اللغوي من الكلمة في صفحة 71، 90). وذكرها مؤرخون كثيرون ووصفوا طيب مناخها وأثارها ووفرة مياهها المتدفقة من نهر العاصي الذي يسقي أراضيها ويمر فيها فيروي بساتينها وينعش أهاليها.

Homs. Mar Elian church حمص، كنيسة مار اليان العجائبي




نبذة عن دير مار اليان الحمصي

في النصف الأول من القرن الخامس كان في حمص أسقف اسمه بولس فلما وقف هذا الحبر على سيرة القديس اليان واستشهاده وعلم أن جسده قد وضع في كنيسة الرسل والقديسة بربارة قرر أن يبني له من ماله الخاص كنيسة على اسمه في المكان الذي مات فيه وأن ينقل اليها رفاته فشيدت للقديس كنيسة واسعة جميلة مزينة بلأعمدة والرخام وعندما أكمل بناؤها جمع الأسقف الكهنة وأبناء رعيته في كنيسة الرسل والقديسة بربارة وبعد أن قضوا ليلتهم في الصلاة حملوا رفاة الشهيد ونقلوها الى الكنيسة الجديدة ووضعوها في تابوت من الرخام شرقي المذبح وكان ذلك في 15 نيسان 432 م .

لاتذكر المصادر التاريخية شيئا ً من مصير هذه الكنيسة في العصور التي تلت بناءها ولكن يبدو أنها فقدت الكثير من أهميتها ورونقها أثناء الحوادث العديدة التي تعاقبت على المنطقة في القرون الوسطى . غير أنه من المؤكد أنها بقيت قائمة عبر الأجيال ووجودها ثابت في نهاية القرن السادس كما يتبين من أيقونة للقديس ( موجودة حاليا ً في باريس) تحمل تاريخ 1598 وقد أهداها الى دير مار اليان بطريرك أنطاكية وسائر المشرق يواكيم السادس الذي كان سابقا ً مطرانا ً على مدينة حمص ومن جهة أخرى أحد الرحالة الفرنسيين الذي زار حمص في أيار 1658 يتحدث عن الكنيسة وعن تابوت الشهيد .

في النصف الأول من القرن التاسع عشر كانت كنيسة مار اليان عبارة عن بناء صغير طوله تسعة أمتار وعرضه خمسة أمتار وبما أنها أصبحت لاتتسع للمصلين فقد بادر الخوري يوسف رباحية الى الإهتمام بتوسيعها فأخذ يجمع التبرعات من أبناء الطائفة الأرثوذكسية في حمص وكان عددهم آنذاك 3200 شخصا ً بدأت أعمال تجديد الكنيسة في 18 أيلول 1843 ودامت خمسة وأربعين يوما ً واشترك فيها علاوة عن العمال عدد من أبناء الرعية وقام بتدشينها المطران متوديوس راعي الأبرشية .

وفي نهاية عام 1969 عندما تسلم المطران الكسي عبد الكريم أمور أبرشية حمص تقرر بالتعاون مع عمدة ديرالقديس اليان ترميم الكنيسة المذكورة التي كانت في الآونة الأخيرة مغلقة في معظم أيام السنة فأخذ العمال يقومون بقشر الطبقة القديمة من الكلس التي تكسو جدرانها والتي كانت قد بدأت بالتفتت وذلك لطلائها بطبقة جديدة من الإسمنت وفي أيار 1970 عندما وصلوا بالعمل الى القبة التي تحيط به ظهرت تحت القشرة الخارجية رسوم جدرانية قديمة (على طريقة الفريسك) وتكشف هذه الرسوم صور للسيد المسيح وصور لمريم العذراء وبعض الأنبياء والقديسين كما تحمل كتابات باللغة اليونانية واللغة العربية وفي 25 أيار 1970 تم ابلاغ المديرية العامة للآثار والمتاحف في دمشق عن هذا الإكتشاف فأوفدت خبراءها لترميم هذه الرسوم وأخذت التدابير اللازمة لحفظها من الرطوبة وتأثير النور .

ومن ثم قررسيادة المطران الكسي تزيين الكنيسة بكاملها برسوم جدرانية ( فريسك ) فكلف بهذه المهمة الرسامين الأخوين جبرائيل وميخائيل موروشان من كنيسة رومانيا وقد دامت هذه الأعمال من 12 نيسان لغاية 28 تشرين الأول 1973 وبذلك تم تزيين كل جدران الكنيسة وأقبيتها وسقفها وتشكل مساحة قدرها 800 مترا ً مربعا ً برسوم مختلفة نرى فيها بعض المشاهد من حياة السيد المسيح وصورا ً لعدد من القديسين ومشاهد من حياة القديس اليان .

وقد دعا سيادته للاحتفال بالقداس الإلهي وتدشين هذه الكنيسة بحليتها الجديدة صاحب الغبطة البطريرك الياس الرابع معوض وذلك يوم الأحد بتاريخ 3 شباط 1974 بعد أن وصل الأيقونسطاس الجديد من بخارست رومانيا هدية من غبطة البطريرك يوستنيانوس للكنيسة والأيقونسطاس من الخشف المحفور صنع الفنان أوبريجا ورسم ايقوناته الأرشمندريت صوفيان

for more pics go to homs